Date:      Thu, 08 Oct 1998 10:57:21 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        chad@dcfinc.com
Cc:        marko@cs.uni-frankfurt.de, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Global register variables in gcc and stdio.h?!?

Chad R. Larson wrote:

> > An application I want to compile runs much faster if it can use global
> > register variables.
> [ snip ]
> > Please comment.
>
> One comment I'd have is that GCC does a pretty wonderful job of allocating
> registers on its own.  Perhaps your experience is based on some other
> compiler?

I think you'll find in GCC that "register" is regarded as a weak hint at
best.  On x86 I think it's basically a no-op.  The compiler is a whole
lot smarter about register allocation that you are, especially on an
architecture where there aren't any.

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                      +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                   wes@softweyr.com