Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 1995 00:15:28 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jwb@hargray.com (Joe Beiter)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD IZ BROKED

Joe Beiter stands accused of saying:

> After figuring out that I am to write the boot manager to the dos partition
> on my first scsi disk, I then expected the boot manager to see the FreeBSD
> system installed on the second scsi disk. It does not. It only sees teh file

The bootmanager should actually be written to the MBR on the system's
boot disk.  The installer doesn't do this because it's too risky. (You could
have anything on that disk, and scribbling on it would be Very Bad Manners).

> systems I have on the first disk (dos and linux). The "troubles" file says
> to enter the command "sd(1,a)/kernel" at the "Boot" prompt.
>
> How do I get this boot prompt? It never appears.
> Can I make a boot floppy that will look at my bootable bsd disk? (there are
> no instructions how to).

Try booting the install floppy and point it at the second SCSI disk.
If this doesn't work, I'd say you muffed the install; make very sure that
the BIOS geometry matches the geometry used for the partition table on
the second disk.

> Is this just an undocumented fact that FreeBSD must reside on the first disk?
> (that would be very lame)

Nope.  You don't have any IDE disks in the system do you?

> Joe Beiter                   Hargray Telephone Company

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[