Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:49:06 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   more named questions . . .

I've been working on setting up named in a sandbox.  I got some
helpful hints here where I couldn't quite understand the handbook
(yes, I did read it, that doesn't necessarily mean I understood it :).

Anyway, I followed the handbook steps for sandboxing named exactly -
meaning I didn't even retype the commands, but copied them by mouse
from the handbook page.  This part is giving me some trouble:

# Symlink /var/run/ndc to /etc/namedb/var/run/ndc:

    # ln -sf /etc/namedb/var/run/ndc /var/run/ndc

Note: This simply avoids having to specify the -c option to ndc(8)
every time you run it. Since the contents of /var/run are deleted on
boot, if this is something that you find useful you may wish to add
this command to root's crontab, making use of the @reboot option. See
crontab(5) for more information regarding this.

What are the chances this is wrong?  After completing the section, I
typed 'ndc start' at the root prompt, and got the following:

# ndc start
ndc: error: name server has not started (yet?)

So I tried to stop it:

# ndc stop
ndc: error: ctl_client: evConnect(fd 3): No such file or directory
ndc: error: cannot connect to command channel (/var/run/ndc)

And this didn't even stop named.  Something had to be wrong.  I did a
little more reading, and it looked to me like that command should have
been the other way around.  So I tried the following:

# rm /var/run/ndc
# ln -s /var/run/ndc /etc/namedb/var/run/ndc
# ndc start
new pid is 42557

then, just to be sure:
# ndc stop

and named did quit.

Did I stumble on a typo in the handbook?  And if so, did I also
stumble on the CORRECT way to do it?

And, finally, once I got named started in this manner, I got the
following message in the /var/log/messages:

Jan 28 10:41:04 keyslapper named[42779]: check_hints: A records for
J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET class 1 do not match hint records

Doing a lookup, host gave 192.58.128.30 as the correct IP, but
named.root had 198.41.0.10.  When I changed named.root and restarted
named, the message went away.  Anyone else ever have this kind of
problem?

TIA

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

QOTD:
  "I'm not really for apathy, but I'm not against it either..."