Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 03:32:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        tobi@physcip.uni-stuttgart.de
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrading linux.ko?

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Tobias Ernst wrote:

> there an easiy way to update *only* the linux.ko kernel module without
> having to do a full cvsup and make world to get to FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE?
> I don't want to touch the base system currently, but an updated Linux
> emulator would be great.

Upgrading just the linux KLD may not work if it depends on an updated
kernel as well. Updating your kernel too may break things like ps if there
have been changes to the kvm interface. Or it may not: you could always
save your old module/kernel, update them and see if it works, and drop
back to the old ones if not. It shouldn't cause any damage other than
certain binaries not working (at worst).

cvsup your kernel sources and rebuild the appropriate bit
(sys/modules/linux or the usual procedure for rebuilding the kernel)

Kris