Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:01:36 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        portmgr-feedback@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ports which are currently marked broken

linimon@freebsd.org wrote:
> As part of an ongoing effort to reduce the number of problems in
> the FreeBSD ports system, we periodically notify users of ports

Hi all,
Reports should be ordered to draw the interest of readers, these aren't yet.

Probably:
  Many readers on ports@ often delete these periodic mails part unread, for
  lack of time, as too verbose & hard to quickly scan (not read) through.

  Remaining readers mostly just try to Quickly scan
  Just the 2nd column in the top line of each section, ie
		category/portname
  Just to check ports they use are not mentioned,
  trying to Not read irrelevant junk,
  hoping to hit Delete ASAP.
	If a port interest, they would be prepared to scan down
	If not, delete ASAP, (as fewer are interested in creating
		patches & filing send-pr for ports they don't use).

It's hard to quickly scan Just those 2nd col 1st line.

To insert a simple initial list of nothing but port names:
	echo $shorter_intro 					> posting
	cat report | grep portname: | sed -e s/portname://	>> posting
	cat report 						>> posting
	cat footnotes_was_intro					>> posting

Move the bulky introduction to foot notes. Consider the eye of a busy reader:
  "Argh! I got trapped reading that old boring blurb Again!
   Why no title like "Bad Ports Report" in top of body (not just Subject:)
   to prompt us if we've seen the title before we can skip the intro?
   Probably no ports that interest me anyway,
   Shall I wade through all that text, in case something of interest, Or
   Shall I gamble it's probably irrelevant to me, save time & hit Delete ?"

$shorter_intro= \
 "Ports listed below have gone bad; Details below list; Notes below that."

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".