Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2015 11:54:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        "Dirk Engling" <erdgeist@erdgeist.org>
Cc:        jail@freebsd.org, "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@michaelwlucas.com>
Subject:   Re: preferred jail management tool

On Tue, January 27, 2015 11:17 am, Dirk Engling wrote:
> On 27.01.15 14:41, Ernie Luzar wrote:
>
>> I hope the ezjail author takes this thread as incentive to keep his
>> utility up to date and not let it die due to changing software in
>> Freebsd
>> base code. All I am doing is pointing out the facts here.
>
> I am reading the thread. And I have been following the discussion for a
> long time.
>
> I have been served the jail.conf file format and offered my help
> improving the jail(8) tool to allow for manipulation of the jail.conf,
> because ezjail as a shell tool can not parse the format and keeping a
> shadow config with potentially conflicting information is not a stable
> way to maintain ones config
>
> A short summary is here:
>
> https://elektropost.org/ezjail/msg00149.html
>
> I also heard rumors that the jail.conf format is an intermediate format
> only, and/or there's gonna be a library to parse and manipulate all kind
> of structured config in FreeBSD.
>
> So I'd be very interested in keeping up with the base system's
> development, but regarding jail configs it looks like I'm stuck with the
> "use your vi to configure your jails" approach for 3 years now.

I for one would prefer this ("use vi to edit config files" which are plain
human readable ASCII text). And I will be extremely displeased if config
files become XML or any other format designed for fancy GUI presentation
of plain information. And if I'm forced to use these GUI tools. This
basically what happened in Linux recently with systemd forced down the
throats of people. This caused new wave of refugees from Linux to other
systems FreeBSD being one of them. (I myself am a refugee from Linux: some
5 or 6 years ago I started migrating most important servers to FreeBSD,
workstations in our Department stay Linux though...)

Just my $0.02

Valeri