Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 19:29:25 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        Doug Young <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: documentation issues generally

David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com> types:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
> > In other words, you never even bothered trying. I've never read the
> > docs list. I don't want to read about writing docs, I want to provide
> > better docs to help people use FreeBSD, and cut down on the questions
> > on -questions. I believe I've succeeded in doing that.
> If that list is anything at all like the kde-doc list, I don't blame
> Doug at all. DocBook is great and pretty easy to learn. But the people
> who are really *into* DocBook have lost all sense of priority. They're
> more into DocBook than into Documentation.

That's actually the normal path for things to take. Those who are good
at that kind of thing are drawn to it. As I pointed out later in that
message, *it doesn't matter*. Those people are good at tweaking the
tools, and making them turn out lots of different formats. Let them,
and just ignore the list.

It takes exactly two things to contribute usefully to the FreeBSD
documentation project:

1) Track the docs sources. If you're properly tracking BSD otherwise,
   that means cutting the DOCSUPFILE line from /etc/defaults/make.conf,
   copying it to /etc/make.conf and uncommenting it. The next time you
   do "make update", you'll get the latest doc sources.

2) Install the docproj metaport. That's a huge port, and installs some
   stuff you may never need - but it installs everything you do need.

When you want to change or add something, find the document where it's
going to go in /usr/doc, and save a copy of the source. Edit the
original, cribbing from the document you're editing as needed. The
stuff it just like HTML, except it has a different set of tags and
entities; anyone who can write a reasonable HTML page can do all this.

When you're done, save it and type "make lint" in that directory. Now
comes the hard part if you write HTML like most people - you have to
find and fix the errors it lists. I've found that if you don't want to
fix the errors, the committer generally will, but will ask you to fix
them in the future.

As Kris points out, if you don't write it marked up, they'll even mark
it up for you - though it'll take longer, and they might grumble. But
taking an existing text and reusing the markup is so easy, I don't see
much point in not marking it up.

	<mike