Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:28:53 -0700
From:      dannyman <dannyman@toldme.com>
To:        Sven Huster <sven.huster@mailsurf.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: diskless startup again

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 11:00:04AM +0200, Sven Huster wrote:
[...]
> Another thing is that i want to run different local daemons depending on
> the machines (ip's or hostnames), or machine groups
> So what i thought is to add the same function as for /etc to /usr/local/etc,
> maybe which the enhancement of grouping machines in a config file.
> This might be also useful for global config of "normal" machines,
> which then can be mirrored to all of them.
>
> So my intention is to build clusters of www-server, mysql-server ...,
> which boot from the same root fs, use the same /usr, /usr/local ...

From rc.diskless1:
# Files in /etc are copied to /conf/etc which is writable. Then
# per-machine configs from /conf/ip.address/etc are copied onto this
# directory. First choice is using the client's IP, then the client's
# broadcast address, then a default configuration.
# This way we have some flexibility to handle clusters of machines
# on separate subnets.

I use this.

In my install script I do something slightly different:

# Copy default files in to /tmp/root
echo "Copying files from /install/default to /tmp/root:"
cp -Rp /install/default/* /tmp/root
if [ -d /install/`hostname` ] ; then
        echo "Copying files from /install/`hostname` to /tmp/root:"
        cp -Rp /install/`hostname`/* /tmp/root
fi
if [ -d /install/${bootp_ipa} ] ; then
        echo "Copying files from /install/${bootp_ipa} to /tmp/root:"
        cp -Rp /install/${bootp_ipa}/* /tmp/root
fi

This copies files from /install/default, /install/<hostname> and
/install/<ip-address> in sequence, so you can put everything in default, and
selectively override it.

-danny