Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 2002 08:16:23 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        Takahashi Yoshihiro <nyan@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk, scottl@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ahc and fd

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 11:53:55PM +0900, Takahashi Yoshihiro wrote:
> In article <89092.1039009459@critter.freebsd.dk>
> Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk> writes:
>
> > In message <20021204.223808.88532118.nyan@jp.FreeBSD.org>, Takahashi Yoshihiro
> > writes:
> > >After recent your changes of the ahc driver, the fd driver can't work
> > >on my pc98 box.  It never return from the open(2) syscall.  I don't
> > >know that this problem is only pc98 or not.
> >
> > Please try to comment out the "aic" driver.  The AIC has a very intrusive
> > probe function.
>
> I have tested a new kernel w/o the aic driver, but it has no effect.

Do you have an ahc card in your system?  If you don't, then I have no idea
what could be going wrong since it shouldn't do anything more than just
check PCI Id's and then fail.  If you do have an ahc device, try placing
the following line in /boot/device.hints:

hint.ahc.0.allow_memio=1

If you have more than one ahc device, or your device is dual channel, add
more copies of this line to the file and increment the third field of it.

If this solves the problem, then your machine probably has an issue with
leaking PCI IOPORT cycles onto the ISA bus.  Unfortunately, I know little
about PC98, nor do I have easy access to a machine.

Scott