Date:      Tue, 26 Dec 1995 14:38:47 -0800
From:      Kevin McQuiggin <mcquiggi@sfu.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install problems

Hi!

I'm having a problem installing 2.1. I am an experienced 1.1 user.

I have the 2.1 CDROM. My FreeBSD box does NOT have a CDROM drive.

My Windows machine, however, does have a CDROM. I run QVTNET on the Windows
machine, and it supports an ftp server.

I want to install via ftp. This is the same configuration that I used to
install 1.1.

I booted my FreeBSD box from the floppy. I followed all the steps, and chose
the "developer" configuration for dists to install. I chose ftp as the media
type, and specified my Windows machine as the URL: ftp://142.58.14.242. I
had changed the login name to "anonymous" in the "options" menu, and pointed
the anonymous login directory to E:\DISTS on the Windows machine.

I supplied correct values for my hostname, gateway, IP address etc. My
Windows machine is on the local subnet.

A connection is made to the Windows box, but I receive a message to the
effect that "distributions are not available on the server specified", and
it lists all of the packages (bin, manpages, etc) in the "developer" selection.

The ftp connection remains open to the Windows machine.

Undaunted, I thought that perhaps the initial login dir should be the root
dir of the CD, and so tried E:\ instead of E:\DISTS as the "anonymous" login
point.

I also tried "ftp passive".

Nothing worked. I tried a clean install from the boot floppy, and this time
specified "ftp.freebsd.org" as the server to install from. No go, same
messages about packages being unavilable from the server. Same with ftp
passive from ftp.freebsd.org. And yes, I changed the user name back to "ftp"
(using WHAP!) before trying the standard site.

I tried using anonymous as the user name. Still no go. I tried other
standard sites such as "ftp.leo.org" and ftp.synapse.com". Still no luck.

I yearn for the days of 1.1 when I could do this myself by running ftp and
retrieving and extracting the dists manually.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Is there any way to dump the menu system and get to a shell prompt from
whence ftp can be run? VTY4 doesn't seem to install ftp in /stand, and "ls"
doesn't work so that I can't find it on my own. It must be there somewhere!

Thanks,

Kevin

---
Kevin McQuiggin VE7ZD