Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 11:20:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Wayne, Ken" <WAYNEK@SCHNEIDER.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Fragmentation

<<On Tue, 25 May 1999  9:46 -0600, "Wayne, Ken" <WAYNEK@SCHNEIDER.COM> said:

> When I boot up, BSD reports somewhere between 1% and 5% fragmentation.  Do I
> need to be worried about this?  Is this something the OS takes care of or is
> there a utility I can use to degrag the volume?

This question doesn't belong on FreeBSD-net; there is nothing
network-related here.  However, I'm a nice guy and will answer your
question anyway.

The answer is no.  The filesystem is set up to automatically
defragment files as they are extended, and in any case even fairly
high levels of fragmentation do not have a large impact on everyday
filesystem performance.  (There are certain access patterns which can
cause problems, however.)

-GAWollman