Date:      Thu, 02 Jan 1997 10:56:04 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        ".mace" <mace@tasapaino.aurora-net.fi>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 + Hercules display -> trouble?

.mace wrote:

> /* Summary of the message: how to change the value of the `text='
> field of BOOT? */
>
> My FreeBSD (2.1) boot disk won't boot on my secondary computer.
> First, here's the screen capture:
>
> . ... . ..   clip. .. .
>
> >> FreeBSD BOOT @ 0x10000: [...]
> Use hd(1,a)/kernel [...]
> Usage: [...]
> Use ? for [...]
   [snip]

> 1)      the `text=0xfc000'; 0xfc000 is (i believe) the address
>         for graphics adapters, my hercules board would be found at
>         0xfb000
    [snip]

> TIA, any help greatly appreciated.
>
> .mace
I don't know about Hercules boards, but you misunderstand something.
The "text=" line has nothing to do with the display. In UNIX (and DOS
too, BTW) the "text" segment is the portion of the program that contains
static read-only data (that is, your code). What you see is the address
where the code of the kernel is loaded. That can be changed with some
hacking, but is completly irrelevant in your case.

Nadav