Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 1999 22:56:29 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Ben Williams <williamsl@home.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: new kernel build, bad MSF image

>    I  have  only  recently  begun to use FreeBSD but I consider myself
> competent  with  Linux  and  I have had FreeBSD installed on my PC for
> over a week now and I decided to build a kernel for my machine and get
> rid  of all the unnecessary drivers and whatnot (like everything SCSI,
> the Qcam stuff, PS/2 mouse stuff, etc) and I finally got the kernel to
> build  after having to fight with it over the definition of the floppy
> drive.
>    Here's the problem: Whenever I attempt to boot my FreeBSD partition
> (I'm  dual-booting FreeBSD & 98) it goes through all the normal bootup
> messages  until it mounts the root partition ("changing root device to
> wd0s1a")  and  it  immediately  complains  about  "panic: MFS image is
> invalid!!"  and  forces  me  to  reboot. This happens if I use kernel,
> kernel.old or kernel.GENERIC. What can I do to fix it?

It's hard to see how you could be ending up in this case, since to get
that error message you have to have loaded an MFS root image, however
the real problem is likely that there is something wrong with the way
that you have laid your disk out.

If the FreeBSD root filesystem is really wd0s1a, ie. in the first slice
of the first IDE disk, it's hard to guess where you've put Windows.  If
it's not there, then there is something funky with your disk layout
which is preventing the loader from finding the right filesystem.

What you _don't_ say, and this is a criminal omission, is what you did
to cause this.  Since you managed to build a kernel at one point, you
have had the system working before.  If you won't admit to us what
you've done to break it, how are we to guess at what might be required
to fix it?

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org