Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 1996 19:09:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@tetard.frmug.fr.net>
Cc:        hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Howto: Sun 3's as X Terminal

On Sat, 30 Mar 1996, Philippe Regnauld wrote:

> FILE:	HOWTO
> TITLE:	Installing a Sun 3/3x as an X Terminal.
> DATE: March 29th, 1996

    What incredible timing... our office was in a bit of a panic a few
days ago because all of a sudden our Sun 3/xxx terminals all crashed
and could not reboot off our FreeBSD server.  After over an hour of
diagnosing various parts of our software and network hardware, it
turned out that tftpd *must* take a directory name argument.  I don't
know why or how it was working before.... anyhow, I'm glad you covered
that point in your FAQ.  :)

    At one point we were using a rescued 486DX4/100 with 16MB of RAM,
a 1GB IDE drive and a 3C509 Ethernet to drive five Suns in our
customer support department.  It was recently upped to 64MB so our
staff can run Netscape and xv and various X games without too much
grief.  ;-)

> 			       CONFIGURATION
>
> NOTE: Since Sun 3's use old 4.2BSD networking code, they have the bad habit
> of broadcasting on .0, not .255 -- this forces you to declare your ethernet
> configuration as follows:
>
> 	% ifconfig ed0 inet 192.168.1.42 broadcast 192.168.1.0

    We've got 3/50's, 3/60's and 3/280's here running the Xkernel and
our boot server is using .255 as the broadcast address without any
apparent trouble.

> if [ -x /usr/sbin/rarpd ]; then
>     /usr/sbin/rarpd ed0
> fi
> echo -n ' rarpd'

    Or just "/usr/sbin/rarpd -a" for all configured interfaces.

> The cfg file should contain something equivalent:
>
> 	# /tftpboot/cfg.192.168.1.10
>
> 	rootfs 192.168.1.42:/usr2/export/root/Xkernel
> 	hostname myterminal.mydomaine.net

    We're running bootparamd here instead of bootp, and the equivalent
information would go into /etc/bootparams.  This saves you having all
those files in /tftpboot when you have many X terminals:

cringe  root=198.133.36.156:/var/export/root/Xkernel.sun3
mince   root=198.133.36.156:/var/export/root/Xkernel.sun3
stagger root=198.133.36.156:/var/export/root/Xkernel.sun3
[etc...]

> III. Configuring bootparamd

    I think you mean "bootp" here... I haven't quite grasped the
differences between the two, but the setup process is different enough
to cause some confusion.  "/usr/sbin/bootparamd -s" is run from
rc.local here, getting the NFS information from /etc/bootparams.  It
seems to be easier than configuring bootp's /etc/bootptab file.

> V. Configuring Xdm and Xfs.
>
> This is pretty  much explained in the XKernel  documentation -- remember to
> READ THE MAN PAGES !

    This part is fairly straightforward... "/usr/X11R6/bin/xfs -port 7000"
is started in /etc/rc.local and our /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers
file looks like this:

cringe:0        foreign
mince:0			foreign
stagger:0       foreign
[etc...]

    Works automagically.  :)
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org)
System and Network Administrator, Internex Online Inc.