Date:      Sat, 28 Jun 1997 11:12:02 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Sascha Blank <blank@fox.uni-trier.de>
To:        potok@free.polbox.pl (Mariusz Potocki)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't find libc.so.3.0

Hello Mariusz,

Mariusz Potocki has written recently:
> I recently installed XFree 3.2, but after unpacking: bin, doc, fnts,
> lib, man, set, cfg, VG16 from .tgz files and performed preinstal.sh
> and postinstal.sh i can not launch X (startx) because of message:
> Can't find libc.so.3.0.
> Where I can find it and where place it?
> (I'm using 2.1.5 release and XFree 3.12 works just fine).

it looks like you have downloaded an XFree 3.2 version which was built
to run on a FreeBSD 2.2 system, which uses libc.so.3.0. In order to run
XFree 3.2 on your 2.1.5 system you must download a version that has been
built for the 2.1.x branch instead. This version will then use
libc.so.2.2 instead.

--
             Sascha Blank - mailto:blank@fox.uni-trier.de
  Student and System Administrator at the University of Trier, Germany