Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2002 19:25:02 -0800
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dialing up via PPP

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 08:57:18PM -0600, Steven Lake wrote:
> 	HI all.  Looking for a good tutorial for dialing up to the
> internet using Freebsd from the console.  I've looked around and found
> links for using Fbsd as a router and a firewall and whatnot.  All I want
> to do is just login to my ISP, fire up lynx and surf.  :)
>
> 	Anyone got a very simple tutorial somewhere that I can use as I've
> never worked with this before.  Many thanks.

First, read:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ppp-and-slip.html

Then take a look at /usr/share/examples/ppp/ppp.conf.sample.

Truly, a basic configuration is quite simple and should work most of the
time.  Below is a sample /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file with all the comments
removed for brevity...something similar should suffice:

default:
 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 ident user-ppp VERSION (built COMPILATIONDATE)
 set device /dev/cuaa0  # assuming your modem is serial 1 (COM1).
 set speed 115200
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \
   \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
 set timeout 900       # 15 minute idle timer (the default)

my_isp:
 set phone <tele number>
 set authname <your username>
 set authkey <your password>
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
 add default HISADDR     # Add a (sticky) default route

When setup, run `ppp -background my_isp` and see what happens.

Nathan