Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 11:24:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael L. Squires" <mikes@copper.ucs.indiana.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Firmware upgrade for Archive/Conner/Seagate 4584NP/4586NP

An upgrade to the firmware for these drives (which is supposed to be
done by the vendor, but was not done on the drives we got from
Corporate Systems Center) is available free from Seagate if you
cry a lot.  The upgrade is in the form of a tape which automatically
upgrades the firmware, and works in both the 4584NP and 4586NP (DDS1 and
DDS2, respectively).

The oddest problem was that these drives did not work properly (under
MS Windows NT with ARCserve) until we turned off the IDE controllers.

(I realize NT is not FreeBSD, but a previous thread discussed the reliablility
of these drives and I'm hoping the person who asked the question earlier
can find this message, as well as anyone looking for the answer in the
future).