Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 1996 18:14:30 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@current1.whistle.com>, Richard Heaton <Rich.Heaton@empac.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Job openings: Unix Network Programmers, Internet server

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Of course, as they are in direct competition with Whistle,
> > we hope you'll talk to us too :)
>
> Actually, since you mention it, you guys don't have to view this
> entirely as "competition" and could actually share some of the
> development work in areas where there's no "competetive advantage" to
> give away.
we already take that view..
there is no way we are gicving away the interfaces and such.
but you'll see our PPP daemon in incoming
and work being done for us getting netatalk and samba and such into
production quality for FreeBSD will be in those packages.
empac or anyone else using FreeBSD is quite welcome to do this..
the more momentum we get as "FreeBSD is the way to go for network nodes"
the better. Actually I think that there's enough space here for al of us
in this segment..  there was one similar product at interop that was the
size ofthe diskdrive (approx)
that was running NT..
1/ I pitty them
2/ they are the cometition
3/ they are from seattle and have  a LOT of money
... I wonder if it's a coincidence?

> Richard and I talked about this yesterday, and Empac feels that things
> like general PPP improvements or bug fixes to the system should not be
> viewed as competition points, it being in everyone's best interest to
> make FreeBSD as robust and reliable a development platform as
> possible.  The competetive advantages lie in what is placed on top,
> not the foundation, and given that firms like Whistle and Empac are
> both relatively small (certainly when compared to the Mighty
> Microsoft), they'd do well to pool their resources if and whenever
> possible.
>
> Richard told me yesterday that Microsoft recently announced a
> multi-billion (yes, billion) dollar initiative to make NT *the*
> network operating system in 1997, and that's a whole heck of a lot of
> money.  It's time for small companies involved with UNIX to pool their
> efforts or Bill is going to eat them all.  He might eat them anyway,
> in the long run, but I'd really hate to look back on this time and
> reflect that we made it easy for him to do so by squabbling amongst
> ourselves while Microsoft raced ahead.  I think the UNIX community has
> already done far too much of that already and it's time for a change.
>
> Perhaps we could set about identifying areas of common interest and
> open a discussion on mutual development priorities?
I think that htere are enough ares to keep us busy..
I'm about to revamp the networking lower end for ATM/Frame/ISDN
I'll work with anyone who's intersetd..
I'll be taking the FreeBSD ATM crew the BISDN crew and the
NetBSD/OPENBSD
ATM crew's stuff, and our own work here and hopefully drawing a common
thread through it all.

I have already got a good commmunication with them
and hope to expand it..