Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 22:05:21 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems creating 4.4-alpha test/release cdrom

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 11:58:15AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > >  - the file is too small
> >
> > Hardly, as ls -l says:
> >
> >     6229000 KERNEL
>
> Is this "ls -l" in the loader?  I'll assume it is, since "KERNEL"
> is in upper case.  8-).

Yep, this is the CD alright.

> > kernel: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, Alpha (unofficial), version 1 (FreeBSD),
> > dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
>
> I think this is just because it's a .so; this actually doesn't
> seem right to me, though it might just be "file".  If you had
> not successfully booted it after copying it over, I'd ask you
> to nm it and look for the ld.so stubs.  8-(.

<nod>

> > > a burn error (less likely but not impossible).
> >
> > Starts to smell like mkisofs.
>
> Then the image would be bad coming off the CDROM.  The only
> other thing that occurs to me is that your "cdboot" is bad,
> or you have a problem with your CDROM drive.  I know I was
> not able to boot my Alpha from some CDROM drives, but had no
> problem when using my trusty old SCSI CDROM, a Toshiba 3401B,
> due to block size problems... maybe you are seeing that?  My
> box is also a Miata...

This is a true DEC RRD46, so no block size problems (512 versus 2048
you mean I suppose). The same drive boots other CDs just fine. But just
tried [elimination Dr Watson..] the CD on my other Miata who has a different
CD drive. Same problem.

I think, BTW, that Miata SRM is smart enough to mode-select the CD
drive into the right blocksize.

Wilko