Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 2002 06:12:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      paleph@pacbell.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   bge driver hangs seen with FreeBSD 4.5

We're experiencing problems with the bge gigabit ethernet driver.
We have a 100 Mbit ethernet network and are running 4.5 standard
install kernels. We have two 4.5 machines A (with a bge gigabit driver)
and machine B with ed0 interface. With small packets or low load,
there is no problem sending data (via ftp) from B to A.
However when we attempt to ftp a large file, about 16 Megabytes, from
machine B to machine A, the connection immediately hangs and we
start seeing timeout messages from the bge driver on machine A.
The interface is completely locked up and machine A no longer responds
to pings. If we abort the ftp request, machine A heals after a
while (5 - 10 minutes). and things start working again.

I grabbed the latest bge sources from FreeBSD.org and rebuilt
a 4.5 kernel with them. The problem still occurs.

Has anyone seen this hang before with 4.5 and know of any fixes?
I've just started to look at it. I looked at the bug list and
didn't see anything reported for the bge driver.

Machine A is a Dell 2650.

Paul Fronberg
paleph@pacbell.net