Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2000 15:21:43 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   wu-ftp 2.6.0, ftpaccess and passive mode

Hi all..

I hope somebody can help me out, here... I'm not entirely sure what the
matter is.

It seems that with wu-ftpd (or the stock ftpd for that matter), passive
mode through my router attempts to port on the wrong IP address  (i.e.,
ftpd sends its IP address on 10.x.x.x instead of its public IP on
139.x.x.x).  So, passive transfers work fine on the localhost/local
network, but not from anywhere else.  (Non-passive transfers, on the other
hand, work fine).

As I mentioned, ftpd sends the wrong IP address to remote hosts for
passive transfers:

ftp> get some.file
227 Entering passive mode (10,0,0,2,192,0)

Which, of course, doesn't work.  But:

ftp> passive
Passive mode off.
ftp> get some.file
200 PORT command successful.
... and the file transfers

I added the following to /usr/local/etc/ftpaccess:

passive address 10.0.0.2 10.0.0.0/8
passive address 139.142.245.100 0.0.0.0/0

...and restarted inetd, with no change.  10.0.0.2 is still being sent as
the passive ip address.  Is there something special I have to do to enable
ftpaccess?  Or is it just this passive keyword I'm having problems with?
I've enabled logging (and turned it on in syslog.conf), but haven't seen
any unusual messages.

From /etc/inetd.conf:

ftp	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/local/libexec/ftpd	ftpd -l

Which points to wu-ftpd (Compiled Dec 7 on 3.4-STABLE).  ftpd correctly
sends the wu-ftpd header, version 2.6.0.

Any suggestions?

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>	50% Owner, Sysadmin
  SaskNow Technologies     		http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   		Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2