Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 1995 14:36:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        grog@lemis.de
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux' mknod and named pipes.

[ ... ]

> > >2.  It gives worse results.  How?  Why?
> >
> > It just confuses programmers to have two ways of doing the same thing.
>
> Not if you say "this feature is deprecated and only exists for
> compatibility with obsolescent operating systems".

Actually, it's BSD that's obsolete here.

You might as well argue for changing select() to not work on some classes
of devices as argue to seperate the mknod and mkfifo interfaces.  It's
stupid to perpetuate non-uniformity in interfaces for bogus reasons.

There's no good reason for having the interfaces seperate except that
it's a historical BSDism.

I'd prefer rolling the code together and replacing mkfifo(2) with
mkfifo(3) that calls mknod(2).  POSIXism's (which is what the mkfifo(2)
man page says this is) can be implemented in the library and not
change compliance level for the system (not that anyone has certified
FreeBSD).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---