Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 17:18:29 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>, FreeBSD-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Oh no...

Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se> types:
> On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 07:01:36PM +1100, Kal Torak wrote:
> > Hiyas...
> >
> > I kinda did a fdisk -BI on my main HDD by accident... It killed
> > all my partitions... I tried to get them back with sysinstall and
> > the live file system, but I cant mount them and stuff...
> >
> > Is there some way I can get my data back? I dont care so much about
> > the file systems.. But there are some files I would *LOVE* to get
> > back...
> >
> > Any pointers would be great...
>
> *IF* you know exactly how large your partitions were and where they started
> and ended then a bit of work with fdisk/disklabel can restore them.
> You just create new entries with the same info on the disk as you had before.

This is why you should print a copy of the fdisk and disklabel for the
relevant disks, and save them with your backups. At one point, there
was a handbook entry discussing this, but I couldn't find it last time
I looked.

I've had BIOSes overwrite my disklabel on DD disks. Having the
information printed and ready saved my ass.

	<mike