Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 08:08:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>
To:        Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
Cc:        jfesler@gigo.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How stable is soft updates?

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Jesper Skriver wrote:

: On Wed, Apr 07, 1999 at 08:43:06PM -0700, jfesler@gigo.com wrote:

: > Some stuff I didn't see answers for..
: >  1: how stable is it :-)

: Dead stable, at least to my experience, I've been running it for months
: on very busy boxes ...

I had serious problems with some underpowered systems earlier this
year.  However, I'm running a week-old 3.1-STABLE now, and it's
been running softupdates for a few days with no more problems.  I
finally can't break it, no matter how I thrash the disk.  YMMV,
though.

: >  2: If I somehow manage to boot from a kernel lacking soft updates,
: >     will the partition still be mountable (ie, sans soft updates)?

: Don't know.

I imagine it would be, since the softupdates flag is just that --
a flag -- tha t can be ignored.  fsck treats softupdates-enabled
disks differently but I think that's more of an issue with
softupdates-induced problems needing different fixes.

: >  3: How do we tunefs "/" ?

: Just do it, and then turn the box off ... next time you boot it's ok.

I always did it like this:

	reboot -s
	tunefs -n enable /
	tunefs -n enable /usr	(and any other partitions)
	exit

then when the system continued, it was enabled.  Similar procedure
for turning it off; just substitute "disable" for "enable" :)

Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>
Owner/Administrator, zigg.com
Chief Engineer, Nameless IRC Network