Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 1996 14:41:34 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        freebsd-smp@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        peter@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   mail bouncing

Peter, I've sent several mailings to you today, just got my first "4-hour
notice" that they are bouncing:

<peter@spinner.DIALix.COM>... Deferred: No route to host

--
summary (in case you can see freefall):

>I have a suspicion that there was a syscons bug found and fixed since the
>last -current merge, this might be the cause of some problems.  I'd like
>to do a -current resync asap.

I have found that I NEED to compile kernels with the '/sys' link pointing
to mk SMP kernel source, or I get wierd acting kernels. (I CVSuped -current
several days ago).  Ie, my source is on /d1usr/src/sys, a second disk, so:

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  14 Nov 11 01:56 /sys@ -> /d1usr/src/sys

is necessary to build a working SMP kernel.  If I use:

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  14 Nov 11 01:56 /sys@ -> /usr/src/sys

the resultant kernel runs really wierd, hangs, burps, etc.

This is a good time for a resync, I'm not planning any commits soon...

--

>>	level = trigger( apic, pin, &flags );
>>	polarity( apic, pin, &flags, level );
/**
 * FIXME: FIXME: FIXME: this breaks non-default EISA bus systems!!!
 */
	    level = trigger( apic, pin, &flags );
	    polarity( apic, pin, &flags, level );
#if 0
	/** FIXME: this is a BIG bandaid!!! */

i see that I include the trigger()/polarity() lines TWICE.

--

I suggest removing this second pass
loop ENTIRELY, letting the first pass ISA loop do all the work:

    /** FIXME: is this redundant with next loop??? */
    select = IOAPIC_REDTBL0;
    vector = NRSVIDT;				/** FIXME: MAPICSXXX */
    for ( pin = 0;
          pin < maxpin;
	  ++pin, ++vector, select += 2 ) {
        ioApicWrite( select, DEFAULT_ISA_FLAGS | vector );
        ioApicWrite( select+1, target );
    }

#if 0
    /*
     * program each IO APIC entry according to MP table
     */
    select = IOAPIC_REDTBL0;
    vector = NRSVIDT;				/** FIXME: MAPICSXXX */
    for ( pin = 0;
	  pin < maxpin;
	  ++pin, ++vector, select += 2 ) {
	ioApicWrite( select, flags | vector );