Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2018 13:56:05 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        AikiZen <aikizen@ovh.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: audiophile sound on FreeBSD ?

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 11:33:08 +0200, AikiZen wrote:
> I would like install FreeBSD on my Dell Pr=E9cision M4700. It's a laptop,
> no possible to change sound card...

In this case, you can still use an "external sound card",
i. e., a USB-connected audio device. Of course you should
check driver support before buying. If the built-in audio
is sufficient for your needs, it will be supported probably
by the HDA driver (I have no idea what audio chip is inside
a Dell Precision M4700, but the spec mentions "Intel Panther
Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller" which suggests
that it'll be the HDA driver).

> If i understand well no very difference between Linux and FreeBSD, may
> be i would like use FreeBSD because there are a new challenge.

That is correct, at least within the margins of your
question.

> I just want listening my encoded audio CD and record, may be, my music.

In this case, FreeBSD is able to provide what you'll need.
You probably encoded to MP3 or OGG/Theora? Players are
available. But you can also play 1:1 copies ("raw") of
audio CDs. I've been doing this in my "home studio" in
the past. Many programs for dealing with audio are already
available as ported applications, and in many cases, you
can use Linux programs on FreeBSD, too. It's probably
possible to even use "Windows" programs via wine (but
I've never tried that for audio programs).

> Maybe FreeBSD are a best documentation for use, like the handbook and
> else...

FreeBSD's documentation is really good on all levels,
compared to specific Linux distributions... ;-)

--=20
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0