Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 10:52:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Robert Bowen <rbowen@slt.sel.sony.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   strange network problems - tcpdump helps?

I have a pentium 166 box running FreeBSD that I am setting up as a router/webserver/mailserver for my DSL line. It has two ethernet cards, pn0 and mx0. pn0 is connected directly to the ADSL bridge and my ISP's network. mx0 is connected to a hub and then to a win98 machine. The firewall is set to "open" and the natd interface is set to pn0. When I first boot both machines everything works fine. On the FreeBSD box, netstat -r and arp -a show all the things that I think they are supposed to. Both show 192.168.1.2 reachable on mx0 and 198.144.206.1 on pn0 as the default. (198.144.206.1  is my ISP's gateway). My IP and netmask on mx0 and pn0 show up as they should on ifconfig (192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 and 192.168.206.51/255.255.255.0) Everything works great for a while, and then the connection between mx0 and the windows machine dies. If I ping from either side of the connection (windows or FreeBSD) I get nothing. netstat -r, arp -a, and ifconfig -a all show the same exact informa!
!
tion that they do when things are working. If I reboot the FreeBSD machine the connection works, but here is the really strange thing: If I run tcpdump, the link never closes down! Without changing anything else, tcpdump causes the link to come back up and stay up. As soon as I exit tcpdump with a ^C, the link works for a while and then dies. What is going on here? I don't know enough about networking to know what tcpdump does. Thanks for taking the time to read this long email - please cc me in the reply if you have any advice or ideas.

Robert