Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:07:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rich Wales <richw@webcom.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ad0: WRITE command timeout

Jason Andresen wrote:

    > > Have you tried checking for a loose cable?

"Tenebrae" replied:

    > Yessir, I have.  I suppose the cable could be going bad . . .
    > But I just wanted to eliminate any other possibilities.

Another possibility might be overheating.  I had one hard drive that
started reporting timeout errors fairly often.  I remounted it upside
down (so the heat from the circuit board would rise away from the
drive mechanism), and that helped some, but the errors still happened
every so often.  I later moved the drive to another machine with a
larger case and more fans, and I haven't had any timeouts since.

Rich Wales         richw@webcom.com         http://www.webcom.com/richw/