Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 1996 17:25:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        toor@dyson.iquest.net, terry@lambert.org, phk@critter.tfs.com, dyson@freebsd.org, peter@spinner.dialix.com, smp@freebsd.org, haertel@ichips.intel.com
Subject:   Re: some questions concerning TLB shootdowns in FreeBSD

> > Slightly off subject, but I plan to sometime carry the vnode/offset
> > caching to a more generalized scheme that also encompasses device/offset
> > caching.  Specifically, device/offset is the same as vnode/offset.
> >
> > This will allow us to cache data without the vnode.  However, we will
> > continue to have the advantages of the current vnode/offset scheme.
>
> This is one of the reasons for murdering vclean: so you can get a cache
> hit on perfectly good data which is in memory, but for which the vnode
> has been reused, freed, destroyed, or whatever.  Without the vnode, the
> perfectly good data can not get a cache hit... it has to be loaded in
> from disk again (potentially tromping other perfectly good data that
> is also in cache, but is older than the perfectly good data we can no
> longer reference -- bletch).

The ONLY reason that it hasn't been done, is (my) time limitations.  Other
things scream louder -- and the "nice" things get left by the wayside.
For example, today I am working on the merge of the Lite/2 stuff (finally).
After the merge, and the commits, I expect that there will be at least
a few days of instability, and guess what I get to do (answer: read
frantic requests for help, look at core dumps, and generally feel bad
about messing up the tree.) :-).

John
dyson@freebsd.org