Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 07:58:58 -0700
From:      Doug <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Inetd and wrapping.

Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:13:49 +0100, David Malone wrote:
>
> > I got one person who suggested a flag in inetd.conf which could disable
> > wrapping for a service. This seems like quite a good idea if we can come
> > up with an acceptable syntax for the flag.
>
> What I have in mind is a -w option. Specified once, it disables wrapping
> of internal services. Specified twice, it disables wrapping altogether.

	Errrr....

> It's a pity we went forward the way we did, making wrapping the default
> for STABLE.

	When exactly was it made the default? Prior to 3.2-Release, or after?

> I'd have preferred leaving it disabled by default, for
> maximum backward compatibility. However, now that we're here, I think
> it'll be a very confusing move to make non-wrapping behaviour the
> default.

	It's never (ok, rarely) too late to undo a bad decision. If the change
happened after the latest -Release, by all means, back it out. Very few
users adopt -Stable compared to the number of users who adopt releases. If
the change happened prior to the release, we're stuck with it for all
practical purposes.

> There's already a flag in inetd.conf called inetd_flags, in which the
> administrator could place her "-w" or "-w -w" as desired.

	It would be more traditionally unix-like to have a flag for wrapping a
service (on by default, or not, see above) and a flag for not wrapping. For
instance I could start inetd with the -w flag to wrap all services, and
then disable one service with a -d for don't wrap, and vv.

Doug