Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 17:39:07 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Magnus Lundquist <magnus@frozen.nu>
Cc:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>, Gene Wright <genew@home.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gnome 1.2 & gnomecore 1.4??

Just to explain a bit further: shared library version numbers are there
for a reason.  Shared library version numbers are NOT bumped up just on
a whim.

If the GNOME developers decided that the changes to the library were so
great that it needed a version number bump, then the library is most
probably INcompatible with what it was before.  If an application needs
the new library version, it probably needs some of the new library
features.  Do NOT try to link/run it against the old library.

As Ade said, update your ports.

G'luck,
Peter

--