Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 1999 16:38:31 +0100
From:      "Morten Seeberg" <morten@seeberg.dk>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NATD and REDIRECT_PORT problem

Hi, I have a BSD with a "real" IP. I want it to forward port 666 from the
external IP to an Internal FTP server running on port 666 (running Windows
Serv-U - I have no influence on this machine :) ) The BSD is not running
IPFIREWALL, just natd.

When configured as below, the only thing I can do, is connect to the FTP
from machines with real IP adresses and not using passive FTP. This probably
works, because the internal FTP can open data-ports with no restrictions to
the machine on the Internet. But whenever a client behind a firewall some
place tries, it wount work, because then the internal FTP isnīt allowed to
communicate on other ports to the client.
This is where passive FTP comes into the picture as far as I understand,
this means, that every port that needs to be opened to the FTP will be
opened from the client.

So, i I ran a TCPDUMP on the BSD on the external interface, and tried to
connect to the internal FTP using passive FTP, login and password no
problems. Then I tried to do a LS, and thought this is where id probably see
some new ports opening, but I didnt???

So how is this done???

The 3.3-RELEASE is configured with this:

firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_script="/etc/rc.firewall"
firewall_type="open"
natd_enable="YES"