Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2000 21:25:59 +0200
From:      Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org>
To:        Terje Oseberg <oseberg@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache 1.3.12 Virtual Hosts on FreeBSD 4.0

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 05:07:04PM +0000, Terje Oseberg wrote:
> I have a question regarding Virtual Hosts.
>
> I've gotten it working on FreeBSD 3.2 and it was simple and
> quick to set up. I've tried to and failed to get it to work
> on FreeBSD 4.0 with the same Apache 1.3.12. I've tried to use
> the same config file and everything. I've also tried using
> the default config file and just adding my virtual hosts
> directives at the end.
>
> Here's what I added:
> NameVirtualHost 216.15.83.94
>
> <VirtualHost 216.15.83.94>

Should this be the actual name of the virtual host and not the
IP address? The first virtual host definition will be the default
default site. If a client does not support HTTP/1.1 for instance
they'll always end up on the first virtual host.

<VirtualHost www.etiam.net>

<VirtualHost www.fineworks.com>

>   DocumentRoot /data/web/www.fineworks.com/
>   ServerName www.fineworks.com
>   ServerAlias fineworks.com
> </VirtualHost>
>
> # More of the same deleted.
>
> I have not set up the DNS's for this stuff, so to test it,
> please telnet to port 80 on 216.15.83.94 and do a request
> with either:
>
> GET /x.html HTTP/1.1
> host: www.fineworks.com
>

> or
>
> GET http://www.fineworks.com/x.html HTTP/1.0
>

> I believe that both should work, but both don't work, but both
> don't. You can also check out my info page at:
> http://216.15.83.94/server-info
>
> An exact copy of my httpd.conf file may be found at:
> http://216.15.83.94/httpd.conf.txt
>
> A copy of my dmesg output:
> http://216.15.83.94/dmesg.txt
>
> A copy of my current kernel config file:
> http://216.15.83.94/FIREWALL.txt
>
> Output from my ifconfig -a:
> http://216.15.83.94/ifconfig-a.txt
>
> If there's anything else anyone needs to figure this out, please
> let me know and I'll put it online.
>
> Because I've been trying everything possible in the httpd.conf file
> that might fix things, my httpd.conf file might be lacking stuff by
> now, or have way more stuff than it needs. This is because at this
> point, I'm completely unsure of what could or couldn't be causing
> this problem.
>
> Terje

Best Regards
Willem Brown
--
 /*      Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD. The choice is yours.      */

Even water tastes bad when taken on doctors orders.