Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2012 20:12:49 -0400
From:      Super Bisquit <superbisquit@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Fwd: Kaffe does not build on powerpc: dependency for zero-vm

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Super Bisquit <superbisquit@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 20:12:23 -0400
To: Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
Cc: freebsd-java <freebsd-java@freebsd.org>

On 3/30/12, Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 06:48:18AM -0400, Super Bisquit wrote:
>> Mr. Lewis, you suggested me trying to port zero vm.
>> 1. Java zero-vm is the natural build/alternate to those architectures that
>> aren't fully supported; i.e. non-i386 based CPUs.
>> 2. Reverse engineering the ibm-powerpc-jre/sdk binaries may not be
>> agreeable to you or others; but, I've accomplished more and went further
>> than with this.
>> 3. With the ibm-binaries, I can look at the headers and see what they are.
>> I am also able to see what the standard Debian-powerpc java requires.
>> 4. I do not currently have Fedora or RedHat installed to any of my powerpc
>> systems. If anyone does, then what are the ldd outputs for the jre and sdk
>> release binaries- ibm release only?
>
> I'm not sure what point you're trying to make in 2-4 in regards to building
> a freebsd-ppc version of OpenJDK.  Could you expand on that?
I'm trying different versions of java vms, binaries, etc to get it
working on FreeBSD PowerPC. I've had some luck in building jamvm but
not installing. I am also trying to build the llvm java vm.

> FWIW, the current version of openjdk7 does build on MacOS X/PPC using the
> Zero VM.  You can download binaries here:
>
> http://www.intricatesoftware.com/OpenJDK/macppc/openjdk7u2-macppc-fcs-2012-03-14.tar.bz2

Okay, I'll try it out. I'm on an i386 laptop right now.

> Given that Zero works on FreeBSD (or did last time I tried) and the PowerPC
> build for Zero works on other supported OSes, it doesn't seem like there
> would be a lot of code changes required to get it to to work on FreeBSD/PPC.
> The biggest hurdle is likely the first time bootstrap.  I believe I've
> previously sent out links on how to go about the first time bootstrapping.
> It's not trivial but it's doable.

I probably missed the links since I am chaotic. I'll look in the
mailing list archives for them.

> You are, of course, free to work on whatever you want.  I'm just trying to
> suggest what I think has the highest chance of getting you a working JDK
> on FreeBSD/ppc in a reasonable time.
I tried building icedtea and what not as stated in the post. I'll run
building each listed again and send you the errors.

>> I have to build on both Debian and FreeBSD to see where errors occur. Many
>> may not agree to my methods; but, it has helped tremendously with this
>> porting effort.
>
> I've typically found that useful when porting to a new architecture too.
Damn straight