Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 11:47:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      matt <matt@MLINK.NET>
To:        Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-STABLE <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Quotas.

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Christopher Michaels wrote:

: I suppose anything is possible.  I don't think it's likely.  I have quota
: running on a 21GB /usr partition w/o any trouble what so ever.

I thought just as much, I was mainly grasping at any possible contributing
cause.

: It might help if you sent the actual problem you are having back to the
: mailing list.

I wanted to avoid this a bit more until I could get my mind clear about
what the actual 'real' problem is, but I'm out of ideas now; unless the
hard drive is screwed up. Problem is as follows, with some background
information.

I have two "almost" twin machines; Both are running 3.2-Stable as of
August 6th, they were cvsup'd within an hour of each other. They have
identical hardware and identical kernels, with the exception of hard
drives. The functional machine has a 8.3G Western Digital HD, whereas the
non-functional(now that is) one has a 13.6G Quantum Fireball. (Both IDE)
However, adding quota's on the "non-functional" machine half locks the
machine within 2 minutes of adding them -- Telnet, SSH, Qmail, POP3, Bind,
all lock and disallow any connections or logins, but the IRCd on the
machine and my bnc run fine and accept connections. This problem is
"solved" by a hard reboot as long as check_quotas=YES isn't in the
rc.conf. (It won't allow console logins either)

On the "functional" machine, quotas work flawlessly, no problems
whatsoever, I have tested this in about as many ways as I can think of.
So I'm lead to believe that this is not a quota or FreeBSD related
problem, except for the fact that on one machine quota locks it up every
single time without fail. Unfortunately, the machines are in two different
locations, so I'm lacking the ability to test the hard drive of the
"non-functional" machine for now. I have the feeling now, that this is a
hard drive problem -- However, before I go out and get another HD to
replace it with, I am asking opinions on the list =) Any help is much
appreciated, the machine IS a mission critical machine and quotas MUST be
there, this is not an option unfortunately.

: -Chris
[quoted email snipped]

Thanks for any help or theories,

Matt