Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 00:07:13 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE>
To:        garyj@muc.de
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i4b-L1-F_ill:What is this?

> Hellmuth Michaelis writes:
> >>From the keyboard of Eric Feillant:
> >
> >> When i start my computer with a US ROBOTICS ISDN card inside,
> >> i got these messages:
> >>
> >> xxx_ISAC_IRQ..: RME: Input Buffer Overflow...
> >
> >Hmmm, i have such a card here and i don't get this.
> >
> >> What does it mean ?
> >
> >The D channel chip got a frame longer than 260 bytes (which is unlikely
> >to happen).
> >
> >Do you get the message only once ?
> >
> >> Is there a Patch for this ?
> >
> >No.
> >
> >Please have a look at the isdntrace output to see what exactly is happening
> >when you get this message.
> >

> I see exactly the same thing with a Teles 16.3 card when I boot and _before_
> isdnd starts. Once the daemon is running the messages disappear.

Searching the source of isic_isac_irq() for this message I only found
similar stuff like

	i4b-L1-isic_isac_irq: RME, error or input buffer overflow

If not preceded by another ``i4b-L1-isic_isac_irq'' this means that
the irq routine thinks to receive a frame longer than 260 bytes, which
shouldn't happen (both the thinking and frames longer than 260 bytes on
the D-Channel)
If preceded by another ``i4b-L1-isic_isac_irq'' message, this only
indicates a secondary error message and the first one is the really
interesting one.

> Anyway, the whole thing is harmless and does not in any way impair the
> functionality of i4b.

OK, but... you never know ... Maybe this bug is worse on another system.

Wolfgang