Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2001 10:23:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Chris Tusa <webmaster@oswars.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS & NIS interaction issue.

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Chris Tusa wrote:

> exports. When I create a new user account via 'adduser' on the
> NIS master, I set the home directory to be on an NFS mount located at
> '/mnt/nfs/home' when adduser attempts to create the directory, it gives
> a CHOWN error. I have determined that it is because the userid does not
> exist on the NFS server hosting the home share. The NFS server is

  No, NFS uses numeric IDs in the protocol, so it doesn't matter what
users are actually present on the NFS server.  You don't need any users on
the NFS server if you don't want.

  The problem is that by default the NFS server mapps the root user to
nobody, and only root can chown() files.  By default, NFS is setup so that
the NFS clients aren't completely trusted, and the "root" user on the
client should not necessarily have "root" access to the exported NFS
directories.

Tom