Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:14:27 -0400
From:      Branson Matheson <Branson.Matheson@FergInc.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: root password in NIS maps

 Ugh.. a better solution is to use a program like sudo and runas..
 using root routinely for anything is a bad idea

  - there is little to no tracking on what was done
	- the only log you have is that it was logged into
	- the more people that know the password the more people that can be
		held liable if there is a breach of security

 Having under NIS is bad for the below reasons .. but also because NIS
 is inherently insecure!!! it is not that hard to spoof an NIS
 client. So anyone could get root. And... Unless you have been really
 careful.. it would be fairly easy to bind to your server and pull
 your password file ( including root ) and given the speed of
 computers these days.. and a good dictionary and rules file .. your
 root password could be brute forced at some point. Better to not make
 it available at all.. use runas/sudo to allocate specific commands to
 those that need them.. impliment central syslogging so that you have
 a record, and go from there.

 As a rule .. you never want priviledged logins under a distributed
 login system. *possibly* LDAP .. if you have been anal retentive in
 setting it up. But definately not NIS.

 As much as a PITA as it is to maintain the apache account seperately
 on all hosts ..  it is a better solution.  ssh can be your friend for
 this.  rdist as well..  there are any number of fairly well
 documented push and pull schemes out on the net using those two
 softwares to mass update accounts in a secure manner.

  - branson

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 12:03:52PM -0500,Nate Johnston did mutter:
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Evren Yurtesen wrote:
>
> > I would like to have root password in NIS maps but there is only one
> > problem. When I login to a client machine everything works fine. I can
> > even use 'su' but when I use a command like 'ls -la' I see 0 for the UID
> > field of the output.
> >
> > Does anybody have root password in their NIS maps and it works fine? if
> > yes then how???
>
> Having the password for user 'root' in your NIS maps is really a bad
> idea.  What happens if the machine fails, and for some reason it can't
> connect to the NIS server?  What happens when you want to use the server
> in single-user mode?
>
> probably the best thing to do is this: leave 'root' as a local UID 0 user
> as usual.  On your NIS server, create a new user that also has UID 0, but
> with a centrally controlled password.  Then, the local root will assert
> itself in all the usual ways (UID mapping, single-user-mode passwords),
> but you will be able to control root logins.

  - branson