Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 2003 09:51:21 +0600 (ALMT)
From:      Boris Popov <bp@vertex.kz>
To:        Tim Robbins <tjr@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removal of netns

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Tim Robbins wrote:

> Is there a compelling reason why I shouldn't remove netns? That is, does
> it serve a purpose now that it could not serve if it was moved to the
> Attic?

	netns could be safely moved to Attic. I'm receive enough IPX
related questions, and never got any about XNS.

	netns stack was used by NetCon package which implemented TFS
filesystem for NetWare connectivity. Guess, which protocol they used to
communicate with servers ? Right, it was IPX. So, if netns were still
supported it became just a parallel implementation of netipx.

	Last version of FreeBSD supported by NetCon was 2.2.X. Lack of
support for FreeBSD 3.X encouraged me to write nwfs because it was
necessary for my daily tasks.

	BTW, NetCon still offers their product for FreeBSD 2.2:
http://www.netcon.com/download/download.htm

--
Boris Popov
http://rbp.euro.ru