Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2006 16:13:20 +0300
From:      "Yuriy Tsibizov" <Yuriy.Tsibizov@gfk.ru>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Anton Blajev - Valqk <valqk@lozenetz.org>
Subject:   RE: Surround Sound

> On Sunday 03 December 2006 13:30, Anton Blajev - Valqk wrote:
> > I'm interested if the SB Creative Live is fully supported too?
> > Anyone that has this card and working surrond?
> > It's very good card but I've never had the time to test it=20
> with my fbsd.
> > I can use fbsd on this machine from a month or so and=20
> didn't have the time
> > to test. Any comments for SB Live will be a great thing.
>=20
> The SB Live! is extremely well supported, in fact, there are=20
> 3 drivers=20
> supporting it: snd_emu10k1(4), audio/emu10kx in ports and the=20
> 4front OSS=20
> (www.opensound.com) driver.
>=20
> The emu10k1 driver doesn't have 5.1 support, but I believe=20
> the other two do.
snd_emu10kx from ports now does not support separate /dev/dsp devices
for rear/center/sub channels. It
plays the same sound on front and rear speakers.

The same driver in -HEAD does support "pseudo-multichannel" - you will
have to provide separate stereo=20
streams for front/rear outputs and separate mono streams for center/sub.
You can't play single 5.1 stream
without demultiplexing it. Your system will see your card as two (4.0),
four (5.1) or five(7.1) separate pcm devices.

snd_emu10kx will not be MFC-ed into RELENG_6. I can update audio/emu10kx
port with "multichannel" driver,=20
if you want to try it under 6.x.

Please also keep in mind that there are two different sound card
families both labeled 'SB Live':
- old one, with emu10k1 DSP, is supported by snd_emu10kx / snd_emu10k1
drivers, mostly 4.0 sound
- new one, without DSP, usually labeled 'Live 24' or similar. This cards
are not supported by snd_emu10kx or snd_emu10k1

Yuriy.