Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 01:57:11 +0000
From:      Jai Dhar <jdhar@curry.turban2000.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   P4 L1 cache problem maybe???

Hi,

	I was wondering if anyone knew how I could possibly test if my L1 Cache on my P4 1.4 is faulty? The reason I ask is because while trying to make buildworld recently, I had errors. The actual problem is that out of 6 retries compiling, I got 6 different errors in 6 different places. I synced my tree with 4.5-STABLE, and am using 4.5-RC2 right now... after asking around, people said it could be my ram or my CPU cache, so I swapped my ram out, and problem still persists, so when trying to make buildworld with L1 cache disabled, I ended up waiting 12 hours , while it was still going. Is thee any way I can test to see if my cache is faulty without sitting through a build world that can take +24 hours??? Keep in mind that I'm not an expert C programmer, and don't know how to write programs that execute themselves in the achce and then instruct them to do a cache spill to see if the times vary ... (this was a suggestion made to me :p).

Thank you, Jai