Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 13:52:34 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "K.R.Marshall" <K.R.Marshall@ukc.ac.uk>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nakamichi 4-disk changers

On Sat, 8 Feb 1997, J Wunsch wrote:

> As K.R.Marshall wrote:
>
> > This server won't go online for a couple of weeks so if anyone wants me to
> > test out CD-ROM changer code I'll be happy to oblige.
>
> I've got a Nakamichi 7-disk changer here for testing.  The biggest
> problem i found (after fixing the ``Logical unit is in the process of
> becoming ready'' problem) is that the drives are likely to go
> thrashing on concurrent access, since the kernel doesn't lock one
> medium in a device for long enough, so the drives will finally be very
> busy constantly swapping their media.

The way I will be configuring it the swapping shouldn't be too much of a
problem. This won't be a "full" networked server in he normal sense. It's
more of a general repository for CDs away from the public - each CD will
only ever be accessed by one machine at a time so I should be able to
avoid heavy swapping by judiciously arranging the CDs in the changers.

I wouldn't yet consider such a system for a full CD-ROM network, but
hopefully FreeBSD will support such things in a better way at some point
in the future..?  I understand there are now NT-based systems which deal
intelligently with the problems of changers (i.e. with cacheing etc..)
Currently we just use normal stacks of CD-ROM drives and a large 9Gb hard
disk with several packages copied to it for faster access (all hanging off
a FreeBSD box, of course..).

Keith.

"Mummy was an asteroid, Daddy was a  | Keith Marshall
small, non-stick kitchen utensil..." | Computing Officer, Templeman Library
  - Quiet Sun, 1975                  | University of Kent at Canterbury.