Date:      29 Jul 2000 14:38:15 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Configuration profiles

Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se> writes:
> You should also note that dhclient supports `static leases', which is
> where you writing your configuration file as DHCP leases into the
> dhclient.conf.  This does not give you all conceivable configuration
> information but it's still rather nice.

If you have a DHCP server available and either control it yourself or
are very friendly with the admin, yes. But DHCP servers aren't always
available (or practical), and even when they are, you don't always
control them.

There's a whole real world out there, and it won't always let you do
what you want.

As a consultant, I currently need my laptop to handle four different
configurations:

 - office: DHCP server available, friendly sysadmin. No sweat.

 - customer: no DHCP server available. Sysadmin won't do anything
   without a twenty-page report explaining how it will increase
   shareholder value.

 - home: no DHCP server available, though I could set one up.

 - dialup: no DHCP server available, no way to set one up, though you
   could argue that I could write a DHCP server and a PPP stack in
   Java and carry a TINI with a serial modem around with me everywhere
   I go, to serve as gateway.

In addition, there's a bunch of environment variables and shell
aliases I need to set depending on where I am, such as CVS root,
HTTP and FTP proxies, etc.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no