Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 18:04:25 +0100
From:      Ernst de Haan <ernsth@nl.euro.net>
To:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams), Jay Sachs <jay@eziba.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd.java.mk and native jdk1.3.1p6

Nate,

I'm quite stubborn, I know:

> 1) It requires alot of changes to the existing Makefile structure as
>    released from Sun.

Perhaps some ${SED} magic ? :-)

> 2) Even if #1 is done, we would have to maintain these changes on our
>    own, and Sun has shown a propensity to radically change the build
>    environment between releases, such that the work would have to be
>    redone everytime a new release of the JDK was released.

If we would be able to use ${SED} magic, then perhaps this won't be necessary?

> 3) The number of times a user has to build the JDK should be *very*
>    small (once every 6 months or so), so the amount of work saved
>    vs. the amount of time saved is very little (IMO).

Well, up until now, we have no JDK, so people do need to compile the whole
thing :-) And even if we had a binary JDK: Making the life of the porters
easier is in my opinion even more important than making the life easier of
normal users ;-)

Sincerely,

Ernst

--
Ernst de Haan
EuroNet Internet B.V.

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ