Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 22:25:40 +0200
From:      Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
To:        "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-libh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Details on project status

Thus spake Antoine Beaupre (LMC) (Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca):

> >   Depending on the final solution how this is implemented, I want
> >   the NO_QT and NO_TVISION knobs be tweaks to decide if the
> >   text,graphics,text+graphics versions are build in /usr/obj.
> Ok. I don't think I could help very much here. This requires massive
> compilations, and I don't have a really good beast for that.

Indeed, I don't have either and I'm not a make expert.
I hoped Neil Blakey-Milner could help here, but I think he is too busy
at the moment.

> Unless someone would gratuously give me a box better than a pentium 166
> with 32Mb of ram. :)

Heh.  Nice.  I know how long it takes to compile libh on such a box.
I have a newer laptop which compiles it in approx. 15 minutes (roughly
estimated), which is still quite long.

> > - the lib/tcl subdir is not good.  It depends on the other libs
> >   but won't get recompiled automatically if you changed anything
> >   in the other directories' *.cd.cc files (actually, that are the only
> >   files of interest for the tcl libs).
> Hmm... This is a dark spot for me. I know C well. I know TCL a bit. But
> both at the same time? Eek. :)

Actually, it's only make stuff - the dependencies between the objects
are broken.
For example, if I change anything in lib/hui/Hui.cd.cc, I have to do
(cd lib/hui && make) && (cd lib/tcl && make) && (cd bin/tclh && make
NO_SHARED=yes)

> So in short, recompiling is always "interrupted" to say the least. I am
> in the process of finding a decent browser for unix and compiling some
> jabber client to make my "family" happy with FreeBSD. ;)

It should continue when interrupted.

> More seriously, I took a look at the code and I like it. The idea of
> having the dual/independant text/graphics mode is really attractive and
> creating UIs seems to be pretty straightforward.

Well, we won't have such a nice looking tool like SuSE's YAST2 or the
linuxconf utility because of the restrictions of the same scripts for
text + graphics mode, but it's nice nevertheless.

> >>I personnally think that the main distribution should move to a more
> >>package-like system where files installed would get indexed...
> > I agree.
> <aaaaaaah....> first time I see a glitch of interest in that by
> *anyone*. This is good. :)

Heh :)

> Oh, I totally agree with that. Even if I don't believe a single soul did
> a floppy install in the last year, we have to keep it as a possibility.

I know at least three people who did floppy installs on network-less +
cdrom-less old machines.

> Actually, I thought a bit more about that, and well... Doesn't the
> release process actually installs files in a temporary directory and
> then just package that?

Yes, I think this is correct.

> It should be possible to hack on libh on -stable anyways (?).

Yes, JKH recently submitted some patches that made it possible.

> Don't worry about that for now. :)I'm just one curious geek. I'll tell
> you when I'll start coding, and on what. :)

OK, I can also tell you my design wishes for the setup tool then.

Thanks!

Alex

--
cat: /home/alex/.sig: No such file or directory