Date:      Thu, 6 Nov 1997 14:23:20 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        aic7xxx@freebsd.com, mswanson@intouchsurvey.com
Subject:   Re: AAA-133 RAID info.

> Hello, I've talked to Adaptec about the AAA-133 and they say that this
> is the model that replaces the AHA-3985 RAID controller (which Linux
> supported). They state that you  must have Win31 or Win95 to configure
> the controller's RAID options. Can anyone confirm this? If it replaces
> the 3985 what are the chances that the Linux aic7xxx driver supports it?
>
> Also, this would seem to be a switch for Adaptec in that you need
> special software to configure the card. (In the past you could configure
> everything through CTRL-D on boot-up). Are the aic7xxx developers for
> Linux aware of this and are they planning to address this with a config
> tool?
>
> I am capable of writing such a tool and would be willing to do so if I
> had access to the necessary docs. Anyone have any info there?

The Linux aic7xxx driver does not support the RAID capabilities
of the 3985 and the 133.  Adaptec has not released the documents
for the AIC-7810 controller on the 3985 or 133.  The aic7xxx driver
should support both of these adapters as three separate aic78[78]0
controllers, though.

Even if Adaptec did release the documents for the AIC-7810, it
would probably be quite an effort to support RAID.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org