Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 16:54:04 -0700
From:      Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
To:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange situation with NAT and sendmail

Matthew Emmerton wrote:

> I've got two networks -- A (10.0.0.0/24) and  B (192.168.0.0/24), both
> behind NAT gateways.
>
> The problem I'm having is that I cannot connect to the mail server on
> network A (10.0.0.2) from any machine behind the NAT gateway on network B.
> However, any system on network B can successfully ping the gateway of
> Network A, as well as connect to the two HTTP servers running on the same
> host as the mail server (10.0.0.2).  The mail server is running, since I can
> connect to it from the NAT box on network A (via internal address) and via
> public port-forwarded address from the NAT box on network B.
>
> Why can't I connect to it from behind the network B's NAT gateway, when I
> can connect fine to other services running on the same machine?

Of course you know that NATs are evil. :-)

You can't run servers behind NAT boxes, generally.

Or more precisely: You can only run one instance of a few popular
services on one machine behind a NAT box *and* the NAT box has to be set
up to know where the traffic for that port should go to.

Some services (those carrying network info in the payload) don't work at
all with NATs unless the NAT box mucks with the payload data. The only
one I know of that most NATs support is FTP - maybe sendmail puts
network info into the payload, too?

Lars
--
Lars Eggert <larse@isi.edu>               Information Sciences Institute