Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:12:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
To:        kirk@strauser.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HP Laserjet 1200 on USB

On 20 Sep, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> At 2003-09-20T14:51:19Z, ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com> writes:

>> What's your data? One 20Mb graphic is different to a 20Mb "text" document.
>
> 20MB graphics.  Here's what I was doing that really brought this to light:
>
>   1) Created a 30" x 24" 300DPI canvas in The GIMP.
>   2) Generated some really large text.
>   3) Used the "Resize canvas" to slice the image into 8" x 10" pages and
>      printed them individually.
>
> The page files were the 20MB files that I was referring to.  Although they
> were graphic, I think they were basically bitmaps that wouldn't require too
> much computation.

Are the Postscript files being sent to the printer still 300 DPI after
all the manipulation?  When I use xsane in "Copy" mode, the resulting
Postscript files end up with an odd resolution which is painfully slow
to print on my Ethernet-connected HP LaserJet 4000 which has to resample
the bitmap to convert it to device resolution.

It might also speed things up if you can convert the data to monochrome
from either grayscale or RGB.  I didn't see any obvious ways to do this
when printing from GIMP, but you could save the file in some format
compatible with netpbm, and use that to do the conversion.  At that
point converting the data to HP LaserJet format before printing becomes
a possibility, which is likely to be a faster way to print bitmap data
than printing PostScript.

This doesn't solve you USB problem, though.