Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2001 23:59:36 +0100
From:      James Greenhalgh <james-list@ntlworld.com>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linuxulator on SMP systems broken?

Oh well - somewhere along the line SMP and/or linux emu has been broken
certainly in the past month.  I'll be downgrading my machine to a backup
tomorrow, I'd recommend you do the same if they're important machines.

james

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001 00:40:52 +0200 (CEST)
"Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, James Greenhalgh wrote:
>
> Since three hours both servers run with SMP kernel, but the Linuxulator
problem
> is still present. What the hell is that? Am I the only one with this
specific
> problems?
>
> Every thursday we have a course in theoretical meteorology and therefore
several
> small Fortran programs are written by the students, producing output by
NCARG via
> IDT tool. The malfunction occured today, when the students tried to show
their
> results - last week, before this big catastrophy, all things run well and
nothing has
> been changed in the Linuxulator config or in binaries. Today, only those
machines
> running with a single CPU are capable using IDT! All SMP machines, either
with or
> without SMP activated, fail in running IDT with a SIG 20.
>

> :>My machine is still suffering these problems when SMP support is enabled,
and
> :>it should be noted that it hangs very much more quickly when using
linuxemu
> :>(in my case opera, but also netscape).  I only had 2 system hangs when in
> :>console mode, but closer to 20 with linuxemu running.  These are _total_
> :>system hangs, requiring power cycle.
> :>
> :>james
> :>
> :>On Thu, 5 Jul 2001 22:03:25 +0200 (CEST)
> :>"Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de> wrote:
> :>
> :>> Hello.
> :>>
> :>> Within the last week we rushed into a seriuos SMP problem with our SMP
> :>servers
> :>> due a bug in the FBSD 4.2-STABLE code. Since then we have also on all
SMP
> :>systems
> :>> a problem with several Linux applications, which work perfect on UP
systems
> :>with the
> :>> same installation and installation date (as cvsupdated today).
> :>>
> :>> It is very important to have NCAR graphics 4.2.1 working here and it did
> :>before
> :>> the 1. June.
> :>>
> :>> The phenomenon is, that an application called IDT (a visualization tool
> :>under
> :>> NCARG) works perfect under all UP systems and suddenly not under our SMP
> :>machines.
> :>> When applying a 'truss idt' I receive a "SIG 20" whenever I try to push
> :>button.
> :>>
> :>> Does anyone else have problems with the Linuxulator after the horrible
SMP

--

find great crazy-mad out-of-head experience from japan.