Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 13:53:36 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Copyright law, again...

Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org> types:
> At 12:02 PM 5/23/2001, James Howard wrote:
> >The DCMA is simply a corporate power grab.  It would have happened with or
> >without the Free Software Foundation.
> I do not believe that it would have happened, or contained the provisions
> it did, were it not for Napster, Stallman, Barlow, and others who rallied
> consumers to use the Internet to grab content without paying. The same
> is true of UCITA. The war was escalated, and both sides took extreme
> positions.

Typical glass pucky. The DMCA is a response to people simply hacking
around the previous copyright protection technologies in order to
retain their fair use rights. If you believe that there isn't a way to
keep people from defeating those technologies, making trying to defeat
them illegal is an obvious next step. The only thing that would have
prevented the DMCA - or something very like it - from coming into
being would have been if people didn't trivial defeat things like
SMCS.

What the people behind DMCA are using it for is an excellent
indication of what caused it to be crafted. It's being used to try and
prevent people from telling others how to play DVDs on their
computers, to keep researchers from publishing their research, and by
CRQ to threaten people publishing cuecat decoding algorithms. None of
these things involve copying content over the internet.

For a quick overview of UCITA - and why Librarians are worried about
it - see the American Library Association page on it at <URL:
http://www.ala.org/washoff/ucita.html >.

	<mike